Back to the wines list
- Red Crozes-Hermitage Vineyards :
- the vineyards are the largest of the northern Rhône appellations. They cover 11 communes in the Drôme "département", on the left bank of the Rhône River. Soils :
- the soils vary: from the north, these are mainly over granite subsoils that follow on from those of the Hermitage hill; to the south where are both fluvial-glacial alluviums, with terraces of rolled stones from the old river bed, mixed with loess. Climate :
- the climate has a southerly exposure in the hillside areas. Prevailing wind :
- the "Mistral" is the dominant wind. Surface area under production :
- Production area is 1,411 hectares/3,485 acres, for an annual production of 61,000 hectolitres/678,000 cases. Authorized maximum yield is 45 hectolitres/hectare (2.6 US tons/acre). Grape varieties :
- Syrah (an addition of up to 15% of Marsanne or Roussanne is allowed).
This cuvée is a vineyard plot selection. The grapes come exclusively from a "Clos", that is located on the "Les Chassis" plain, on the left bank of the Rhône river. This is a wine which is only made in the very best years, and its production is deliberately limited to 7,000 bottles (75 cl.) per year. Grape variety : 100% Syrah
"Le Clos" grapes are harvested manually at optimum maturity. The winemaking is done in traditional open-topped concrete tanks, following a 2 day period of skin contact at low temperature. The fermentation follows at controlled temperatures from 82°F to 86°F (28°C to 30°C). Daily cap pushing down and pumping over are carried out for about 10 days. The total vatting time can last up to 20 days.
Maturation lasts for 10 to 14 months in oak barrels which have already held wine for 1 to 3 years. These are regularly racked in order to provide the necessary oxygene to the tannins for an optimum maturing.
A deep ruby red colour, with garnet tinges. The nose reveals aromas of stewed black fruit (cassis and blackberries) and as it opens up, hints of leather and game. The palate is perfectly balanced, with a combination of suave delicacy and considerable volume. The finish is lifted by flavours of very ripe black cherries.
Food and wine pairing
Waterfowl, mixed grills, marinated beef or chicken.