Back to the wines list
- Tavel Vineyards :
- the vineyards lie within the "commune” of Tavel, in the Gard "département”. Soils :
- the soils consist of three different geological types: light, draining limestone, river sand, and rolled stones. Climate :
- climate is typically Mediterranean, with low rainfall and an average of 2,700 hours sunshine per year. The "Mistral” is the dominant wind. Surface area under production :
- the production area consists of 952 hectares/2,351 acres, for an annual production of 40,000 hectolitres/444,444 cases. Authorized maximum yield is 42 hectolitres/hectare (2,4 US tons/acre). Grape varieties :
- Grenache, Cinsault (15% maximum), Clairette blanche and rose, Picpoul, Calitor, Bourboulenc, Mourvèdre, Syrah and Carignan (10% maximum).
Average Delas production: 15,000 bottles (75 cl.) per year.
Once they reach the winery, the grapes are given a short period of skin contact at low temperatures for about 8 to 18 hours in order to extract colour and fruit flavours. Free-run and press juices are then immediately blended and fermented for 8 to 10 days at a maximum temperature of 64°F (18°C).
Malolactic fermentation is sometimes stopped to preserve a better balance of the wines. They are then preserved in stainless steel tanks, and bottled during the Spring time that follows the harvest.
The colour is a very pure and pale pink that just shows a hint of orange. To the nose fruit aromas evolve with some touches of soft, stony fruit and a whiff of toasted almonds. The palate is attractively rounded, pleasantly fruity, and lifted by hints of spice.
Food and wine pairing
Ideal with "Provençale” cuisine, it also goes well with all types of Asian dishes.